Nucleated village at the passage from Krško hills to Radulja hills is situated in an extended valley along the Novo mesto – Mokronog road. In the centre there is a parish church of St. Margaret after which the town was named. The most important agricultural activities are farming, dairy livestock breeding and viticulture; the citizens mostly work at the near Plastoform and Terme Šmarješke Toplice Spa. A lot of them also drive to work to Novo mesto. The village also has a primary school with kindergarten and a multifunctional hall for numerous events.
Šmarjeta is a general name for a wider site complex that includes the Iron Age settlement at Vinji Vrh with the corresponding graveyards. It was first mentioned in 1314, whereas the parish church before 1406. The existent neo-Roman architecture of the parish church of St. Margaret was built up in the years 1910-1927 according to the plans of the architect J. Vancaša from Sarajevo. It replaced the former Roman building rebuilt in the 18th century. The main marble altar is from 1927. Stations of the Cross and the painting of St. Francis in the north chapel were painted in 1885 by the painter M. Koželj; in the southern chapel there's a monumental painting Crucifixion from the first half of the 17th century. It was brought from Slapi. The organs were made in the middle of 19th century by P. Rumpl.